Essex County Council have produced a number of booklets with useful phrases for new pupils in a variety of languages. Can be used by teachers and pupils to ease communication and by parents to get messages across to schools and vice versa.
Available in the following languages:
- For: Parents, Primary, Secondary, SFL
- Language: Arabic, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Mandarin, Nepalese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Purpose: Letters Home, Phrase books
A number of key word lists in Arabic for different subjects
A number of resources in Arabic for newly arrived pupils
and some more complex instructions
Help I’m Being Excluded. This leaflet has been produced by Govan Law Centre and is for children who have been excluded so that they are aware of their rights. It is available in the following languages:
Arabic, Chinese, Farsi, Gaelic, Hindi, Latvian, Lithuanian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Russian, Slovakian, Tagalog and Urdu.
Click on Help I’m Being Excluded to access
- For: Parents, Primary, Secondary, SFL
- Language: Arabic, Chinese, English, Farsi, Latvian, Lithuanian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Russian, Slovak, Tagalog, Urdu
- Purpose: Best Practice, Information, Letters Home
Here are some Arabic resources including basic phrases, welcome signs and useful classroom vocabulary.
Or you can download this….
For Dual Language Resources and Dictionaries in Arabic here are some book suggestions and book sellers to buy them from:
EAL resources for new arrivals (Arabic)
EAL dual language dictionaries for secondary pupils (Arabic)
There are also more resources if you follow the link below for maths, subject key words, topic words and general information….
These useful resources from Bracknell Forest EAL and Diversity Team at Bracknell Forest Council give schools basic phrases in different languages in PDF format for use with pupils and parents. They can be used for new arrivals or for checking understanding for New to English pupils. Some teachers and pupils may simply be interested in them to celebrate different languages as well.
Click on the language to download….
Arabic Chinese Czech German Greek Hindi Hungarian Italian Japanese Lithuanian Malayalam Polish Portuguese Russian Slovak Spanish Tagalog Tamil Thai Turkish Urdu
There are also lots more resources in different languages for use in Primary and Secondary schools on their website click here to open in a new window
- For: Parents, Primary, Secondary
- Language: Arabic, Chinese, Czech, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Lithuanian, Malayalam, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Tagalog, Tamil, Thai, Turkish, Urdu
- Purpose: Class Signs, Dual Language, Information, Phrase books
Information for parents/carers and professionals on the advantages of bilingualism, available in the following languages:
ENGLISH ARABIC BENGALI CHINESE FARSI FRENCH GERMAN JAPANESE KOREAN LATVIAN MALAY POLISH PORTUGUESE PUNJABI RUSSIAN SPANISH THAI TURKISH URDU
- For: Parents, Primary, SFL
- Language: Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, English, Farsi, French, German, Japanese, Latvian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Thai, Turkish, Urdu
EAL Edinburgh have produced a number of leaflets about
Curriculum for Excellence
Click on the link above and you will find parental guidance on the following aspects of Curriculum for Excellence in Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Chinese, Polish, Romanian, Thai, Turkish and Urdu:
Assessment, Reporting and Qualifications,
Education in Scotland
Parents as Partners
- For: Parents
- Language: Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Chinese, English, Polish, Romanian, Thai, Turkish, Urdu
- Purpose: Information, Letters Home
This website contains lots of stories in many different languages. It has audio files and there is usually both English and other language version of the story. Once registered on the site, you have access to EAL guides which detail grammar and vocabulary included in the stories and other teacher guides and support.
World Stories website
- For: English, Parents, Primary, Secondary, SFL
- Language: Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, English, French, German, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Tagalog
Here’s a general Arabic-English science glossary. You can save and print from the view screen by hovering over the page and clicking the appropriate icon at bottom right.