start early and
stay active for life
Here is a link to downloadable resources Play At Home in English and Polish. These resources have been developed by the NHS to encourage early development through play at home.
The NHS website says:
play@home activity sheets
Here is a list of useful websites for EAL pupils. You can search under the different levels of English, Primary, Secondary etc. If anyone has any sites that they think would be useful additions, please contact the EAL team to add them, thanks.
websites for EAL
Help I’m Being Excluded. This leaflet has been produced by Govan Law Centre and is for children who have been excluded so that they are aware of their rights. It is available in the following languages:
Arabic, Chinese, Farsi, Gaelic, Hindi, Latvian, Lithuanian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Russian, Slovakian, Tagalog and Urdu.
Click on Help I’m Being Excluded to access
- For: Parents, Primary, Secondary, SFL
- Language: Arabic, Chinese, English, Farsi, Latvian, Lithuanian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Russian, Slovak, Tagalog, Urdu
- Purpose: Best Practice, Information, Letters Home
If you need to access Interpreting and Translation Services just click on the picture box for further information. You will be directed to the Highland Council Intranet and so if using a machine outside Highland Council establishments you will need to use your User Name and Password to access it as it is for Highland Council Users only.
These useful resources from Bracknell Forest EAL and Diversity Team at Bracknell Forest Council give schools basic phrases in different languages in PDF format for use with pupils and parents. They can be used for new arrivals or for checking understanding for New to English pupils. Some teachers and pupils may simply be interested in them to celebrate different languages as well.
Click on the language to download….
Arabic Chinese Czech German Greek Hindi Hungarian Italian Japanese Lithuanian Malayalam Polish Portuguese Russian Slovak Spanish Tagalog Tamil Thai Turkish Urdu
There are also lots more resources in different languages for use in Primary and Secondary schools on their website click here to open in a new window
- For: Parents, Primary, Secondary
- Language: Arabic, Chinese, Czech, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Lithuanian, Malayalam, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Tagalog, Tamil, Thai, Turkish, Urdu
- Purpose: Class Signs, Dual Language, Information, Phrase books
Information for parents/carers and professionals on the advantages of bilingualism, available in the following languages:
ENGLISH ARABIC BENGALI CHINESE FARSI FRENCH GERMAN JAPANESE KOREAN LATVIAN MALAY POLISH PORTUGUESE PUNJABI RUSSIAN SPANISH THAI TURKISH URDU
- For: Parents, Primary, SFL
- Language: Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, English, Farsi, French, German, Japanese, Latvian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Thai, Turkish, Urdu
Here are a some new Polish resources for you to use in the classroom. One is a Polish Language Mat and the other is a set of language survival cards that teachers can use to ensure that newly arrived pupils understand directions and simple instructions.
Both resources are particularly helpful with new arrivals but also support children with some Polish literacy to find the right words. Click on the links below to download.
Polish Survival Guide
EAL Edinburgh have produced a number of leaflets about
Curriculum for Excellence
Click on the link above and you will find parental guidance on the following aspects of Curriculum for Excellence in Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Chinese, Polish, Romanian, Thai, Turkish and Urdu:
Assessment, Reporting and Qualifications,
Education in Scotland
Parents as Partners
- For: Parents
- Language: Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Chinese, English, Polish, Romanian, Thai, Turkish, Urdu
- Purpose: Information, Letters Home