Welcome to the Highland Council’s EAL website, where you’ll find resources to help support your bilingual learners. These include:
Looking for something specific? Try using the “Filter our Resources” widget at the top of the right sidebar →
Or try one ofthe specific links under the Language, School, or Purpose headings in the left sidebar ←
If you still can’t find what you’re looking for, please feel free to contact us.
Lots of different resources including some translated letters about holidays in term time; Polish dual language resources for different subjects and topics at all levels, nursery, primary and secondary; procedures and assessments and other materials. Worth a browse.
Programme recently aired on Radio 4 about children translating for their parents in different situations including parents evenings.
This is a free online course lasting 4 weeks offered by the University of Glasgow.
Started on May 13 so be quick if you want to sign up.
Details can be found here
Good link to a CPD session hosted by LALCO (Language and Literacy Research Group) looking at:-
- Teachers’ beliefs about meeting the literacy needs of pupils learning English as an additional language
- Bilingualism and (bi)literacy: myths, facts and challenges
- Early reading in languages other than English: similarities, differences and transfer
- Multi-contextual vocabulary instruction for children learning English as an additional language
You can also sign up to the network to access future resources and research findings.
If you have access to Pen Pal here are a few ideas for using it from Essex County Council.
1001 Ideas for using Penpal
Essex County Council have produced a number of booklets with useful phrases for new pupils in a variety of languages. Can be used by teachers and pupils to ease communication and by parents to get messages across to schools and vice versa.
Available in the following languages:
- For: Parents, Primary, Secondary, SFL
- Language: Arabic, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Mandarin, Nepalese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Purpose: Letters Home, Phrase books
- provide visual stimuli for pupils to write from g. photos, video, artefacts eg Literacy Shed
- talk about the structure of English and possible similarities and differences with other languages eg. different word order, articles etc. (Omniglot details some common challenges speakers of other languages have)
- provide opportunities to rehearse before writing
- encourage paired work and peer evaluation
- Use activities such as Dictogloss to practice note taking and use to develop writing
- play games / provide activities to help understanding and use of prepositions, match nouns and pronouns, teach articles
- DARTS activities including;–
- provide support for pupils to match simple sentence starters to sentence endings, then ask pupil to copy complete sentences
- ask pupil to sort/sequence simple jumbled sentences
- clearly organise information on the board using graphic organisers and provide simple grids or tables for pupils to complete
- use gap fill exercises or cloze procedure
- model writing for the pupil and providing good examples
- use writing frames to scaffold questions leading to how / why question
- introduce different connectives/conjunctions Connectives and starters word list – basic or Connectives and starters word list – advanced eg because, so, then, but, however etc
- encourage students to learn from their mistakes and use Correction Code
- encourage pupils to punctuate while writing
- ask pupil to read back the sentences to see if they ’sound right’, use Clicker 6 to do this
- pre teach new words through providing interactive display g. of new or key words
- encourage the ongoing use of dual language/English to English dictionary as appropriate
Back to Strategies Overview
Back to Strategies Overview
- For: Art, Biology, CDT, Chemistry, Drama, English, ESOL, Geography, History, I.T., Maths, Modern Studies, Music, Nursery - P1, P.E., P2 - 4, P5 - 7, Parents, Physics, Primary, Science, Secondary, SFL
- Purpose: Best Practice, Literacy Support