Essex County Council have produced a number of booklets with useful phrases for new pupils in a variety of languages. Can be used by teachers and pupils to ease communication and by parents to get messages across to schools and vice versa.
Available in the following languages:
- For: Parents, Primary, Secondary, SFL
- Language: Arabic, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Mandarin, Nepalese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Purpose: Letters Home, Phrase books
These useful resources from Bracknell Forest EAL and Diversity Team at Bracknell Forest Council give schools basic phrases in different languages in PDF format for use with pupils and parents. They can be used for new arrivals or for checking understanding for New to English pupils. Some teachers and pupils may simply be interested in them to celebrate different languages as well.
Click on the language to download….
Arabic Chinese Czech German Greek Hindi Hungarian Italian Japanese Lithuanian Malayalam Polish Portuguese Russian Slovak Spanish Tagalog Tamil Thai Turkish Urdu
There are also lots more resources in different languages for use in Primary and Secondary schools on their website click here to open in a new window
- For: Parents, Primary, Secondary
- Language: Arabic, Chinese, Czech, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Lithuanian, Malayalam, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Tagalog, Tamil, Thai, Turkish, Urdu
- Purpose: Class Signs, Dual Language, Information, Phrase books
Information for parents/carers and professionals on the advantages of bilingualism, available in the following languages:
ENGLISH ARABIC BENGALI CHINESE FARSI FRENCH GERMAN JAPANESE KOREAN LATVIAN MALAY POLISH PORTUGUESE PUNJABI RUSSIAN SPANISH THAI TURKISH URDU
- For: Parents, Primary, SFL
- Language: Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, English, Farsi, French, German, Japanese, Latvian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Thai, Turkish, Urdu
This website contains lots of stories in many different languages. It has audio files and there is usually both English and other language version of the story. Once registered on the site, you have access to EAL guides which detail grammar and vocabulary included in the stories and other teacher guides and support.
World Stories website
- For: English, Parents, Primary, Secondary, SFL
- Language: Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, English, French, German, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Tagalog
If you’re teaching or celebrating Spanish, here’s a variety of Spanish only posters (no English translation) for classroom display:
Parent invite to school letter – Spanish with English translation.